From: Chris Meyer <chris@crishdesign.com>
Subject: Re: [AE] Thunderbolt and Mac Pro slot speeds
Date: Thu, 3 May 2012 09:08:49 -0600
To: After Effects Mail List <AE-List@media-motion.tv>
Fascinating test! I'm also curious to see numbers with Premiere Pro Mercury Playback and After Effects CS6 ray-tracing, but it does point out that the ratio of CUDA processing to CPU transfer leans heavily in CUDA's favor at least in the Cinebench case. As you say, this makes me breath easier about the penalty of hanging a CPU out over Thunderbolt rather than having it in the case.

thanks -
Chris

On May 3, 2012, at 7:36 AM, Dave Bittner <dave@pixelworkshop.com> wrote:

> I was curious about how much a real-world difference it makes, putting a high performance graphics card in a 16 lane slot vs. a four lane slot, and how this information could inform the possibilities of using Thunderbolt for external graphics cards.
>
> So I spent a couple of hours swapping graphics cards in a Mac Pro tower, running some benchmarks, and I wrote up what I found  -
>
> http://www.pixelworkshop.com/2012/05/02/slot-card-racing-mac-pro-gpu-speed-tests/
>
> Interested to know what you all think.
>
> Dave
>

> Dave Bittner - Pixel Workshop Inc.
> www.pixelworkshop.com
> 410.381.8555
> Twitter @bittner
>

> +---End of message---+
> To unsubscribe send any message to <ae-list-off@media-motion.tv>

Subscribe (FEED) Subscribe (DIGEST) Subscribe (INDEX) Unsubscribe Mail to ListMaster