From: Teddy Gage <teddygage@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [AE] Best GFX card for AE/PP
Date: Sat, 26 May 2012 13:56:35 -0400
To: After Effects Mail List <AE-List@media-motion.tv>

Definitely running 11.0.1 on splash screen. i know that's driver series not cuda. i have cuda 4.2.9 drivers. going to 290 not possible, because 290 driver range doesn't support Kepler cards, but you're on to something. I just downloaded the brand new 301.42 which came out may 23, maybe I should roll back to an earlier 301.xx point release

I also thought since I was getting graphics timeout errors it might be windows gfx tdr (timeoutDelayRecovery) so I edited some windows registry keys. No luck. Instead of crashing, system just hung until I rebooted. It seems like 680 takes too long to initialize with ae and windows crashes?

Running out of options. I even created a new user login with clean system files and did a clean install of ae. No luck. Back to the 580 I guess for now

On May 26, 2012 1:44 PM, "Steve Oakley" <steveo@practicali.com> wrote:

On May 26, 2012, at 10:35 AM, Teddy Gage wrote:

> So I reinstalled AE from scratch, started up, but still get a screen flash during raytrace initialization, then the 5070 error and AE quits. Won't start up at all. I am running the 301.42 nVidia drivers but also tried the 301.32 CUDA developer drivers.

those aren't CUDA drivers. CUDA drivers are in the 4.2.x range right now. those are display drivers. you may actually need to go back into the 290 range. for quadro its 270 range. before you think those are "stale" drivers, please know that 27x.xyz are given bug fixes / updates. so increments in the .xyz part counts. while they may lack certain major feature additions / updates, they provide a stable fixed point in space for developers to work with. it tends to be games generally using the new and improved stuff while the older drivers are more stable controlled environments. so you may in fact just need to install some what lower version graphics drivers.

you should also look at the adobe specs for what drivers are certified, and run with them because they will work. as you have found, newer make not work

+---End of message---+
To unsubscribe send any message to <ae-list-off@media-motion.tv>

Subscribe (FEED) Subscribe (DIGEST) Subscribe (INDEX) Unsubscribe Mail to ListMaster