From: Stephen van Vuuren <stephen@sv2studios.com>
Subject: RE: [AE] (OT) An example of a PC version of a Mac Pro with today's tech for AE
Date: Tue, 12 Jun 2012 18:05:07 -0400
To: 'After Effects Mail List' <AE-List@media-motion.tv>

> At this point the scheduler in the OS is going to try to route traffic as efficiently as possible - however - on long renders - you will have Ae instances trying to compute on some CPU's that frankly don't exist.  This is Chris's point.

What do you mean “don’t exist” – don’t exist to AE? Don’t exist to the OS? Or tied up by other processes?

> The advice from Chris is still sound - buy RAM for what is truly used.  Meaning - the amount of memory you need for previews and general computing - and the actual number of CPU's you will be using if you decide to turn on MP.  Usually that translates into - the most RAM you can possibly afford!

I’ve found that buy RAM for HT cores paying nice dividends for AE performance – i.e. 4G per total core including virtual allows MP renders that fail with 3G or 2GB per core. I’ve some of my IMAX 32-bit float comps that I edited preferences to run 6GB per thread that enable MP renders that were failing with 4GB.

Even with the hit of HT MP renders, it still is much faster than a single core rendering. So I disagree to only buy RAM for physical cores but agree that buy that max you can afford and install.

stephen van vuuren

336.202.4777

http://www.sv2dcp.com/

http://www.sv2studios.com/

http://www.outsideinthemovie.com/

A film is – or should be – more like music than like fiction. It should be a progression of moods and feelings. The theme, what’s behind the emotion, the meaning, all that comes later.

Stanley Kubrick

Subscribe (FEED) Subscribe (DIGEST) Subscribe (INDEX) Unsubscribe Mail to ListMaster