From: Chris Meyer <chris@crishdesign.com>
Subject: Re: [AE] (OT) An example of a PC version of a Mac Pro with today's tech for AE
Date: Tue, 12 Jun 2012 16:48:16 -0600
To: After Effects Mail List <AE-List@media-motion.tv>
On Jun 12, 2012, at 4:05 PM, Stephen van Vuuren wrote:

I’ve found that buy RAM for HT cores paying nice dividends for AE performance – i.e. 4G per total core including virtual allows MP renders that fail with 3G or 2GB per core.

Assigning more RAM per process in multiproc rendering makes perfect sense, especially for large format work. Our gentle caution is to not overestimate how many processes are actually contributing to a multiproc render.

Even with the hit of HT MP renders, it still is much faster than a single core rendering.

Agree with that too. Esp. since CS5, when launching multiproc rendering got a lot more efficient.

So I disagree to only buy RAM for physical cores but agree that buy that max you can afford and install.

If you are assigning more cores to AE that are physically on your CPU, you're not getting anything additional out of multiproc rendering compared to stopping at the number of physical cores.

If you are also buying RAM to support those virtual cores, you're potentially wasting money.

But aside from that from that particular narrow scope, more RAM helps with caching, previews, and large formats, and more cores - both physical and virtual - help the portions of AE that are multithreaded.

crawling out from under the hood -
Chris

Subscribe (FEED) Subscribe (DIGEST) Subscribe (INDEX) Unsubscribe Mail to ListMaster