From: Jim Tierney <jim@digitalanarchy.com>
Subject: RE: [AE] (OT) physical vs. virtual cores ( was.. An example of a PC version...)
Date: Tue, 12 Jun 2012 16:45:23 -0700
To: 'After Effects Mail List' <AE-List@media-motion.tv>, <stephen@sv2studios.com>

In most cases, if you're assigning more than the physical number of cores you'll probably see a slight decrease in performance. I suppose it's possible that if the physical cores aren't being taxed heavily then there's some advantage to the virtual cores, but in our testing the virtual cores don't add anything. We've done a fair amount of testing in this regard. Granted, we're testing our plugins, not just AE, but I would be surprised if the results were different if it was just AE.

Cheers,

Jim

Jim Tierney

President