From: Chris Zwar <chris@chriszwar.com>
Subject: Re: [AE] lossless codec in a container roundup
Date: Fri, 19 Jul 2013 02:43:04 +0000
To: After Effects Mail List <AE-List@media-motion.tv>
Just a few things to add here, because it's more complex than it appears and there isn't a simple solution.

- The "uncompressed" codecs that come on Macs are not actually lossless, because they're 422 YUV.  If you have hard edge graphics - eg red diagonal lines - then even rendering 10bit uncompressed will still result in blockiness and edge artefacts because the format itself (ie YUV 422) is not lossless.  This is very confusing!

- The old animation codec is cross platform, can be lossless, but also can be compressed.  Unfortunately it's only 8 bit.

- Image sequences are the safest bet. TIFF sequences have no size restrictions, can have an alpha, be 8, 16 bit or 32 float, and support basic compression.  They are probably the best format for cross-platform, long-term projects.  Unfortunately they don't play in real-time!

- PhotoJPEG at 100% is OK but not lossless, you will still get banding issues on gradients.  But at least you can control the amount of compression.  I have always noticed gamma/ brightness issues when doing round-trips with PJPEG.  Since storage has become so cheap I've stopped using it, because I'm no longer concerned about larger files.

- ProRes 4444 is really pretty good but doesn't solve the cross-platform issue.

- After Effects needs better EXR support.  The Nuke users I work with complain about AE's EXR handling more than anything else.

-Chris