From: Louai Abu-Osba <me@louai.org>
Subject: Re: [AE] lossless codec in a container roundup
Date: Fri, 19 Jul 2013 07:39:22 -0400
To: After Effects Mail List <AE-List@media-motion.tv>
On Fri, Jul 19, 2013 at 2:18 AM, Brendan Bolles <brendan@fnordware.com> wrote:
> You just blew my mind.  And made my accountant swoon.
>
> Would you guys really do that?  Honestly, it would really help me do this.  If I had been paid to work on these recent WebM and Theora plug-ins, I would have billed the client about $10k so far, and I'm just getting started.

ARE YOU KIDDING?! Offcourse! The need for a lossless/lossy, high
performance, multi-bit depth, resolution independent, alpha
supporting, cross platform codec with host plugins is enormous. All
those in favor, say Aye!

What you outlined below is exactly what makes crowdfunding successful.
Plus, you have lots of credibility, which is important when asking for
a large sum. I'm glad you're looking at existing open source projects,
as any open source advocate will tell you not to start your own
project but to join someone elses whenever possible.

If you want to make this happen I'd be happy to help. I know a few
open source hackers that know many of people behind open source
content creation tools, like the Ogg guys and Blender.

> I'm not one of those guys that thinks all software must be open source, but I do believe strongly that the formats you use to store and archive your work should be open.  Free as in beer to download, and free as in speech so you can give the code to a programmer years from now and they can find a way to read your 2013 movie file on whatever computing architecture is used on the latest self-driving flying iCar.
>
> Plus, there is some pretty amazing open source code out there just waiting to be wired up to our favorite Adobe programs.  I had not even heard of WebM or Ogg Theora or Dirac until a few weeks ago, but I immediately knew they could be great cross-platform replacements for QuickTime, maybe even ProRes.  An added bonus: you'd be able to kiss frustrating QuickTime gamma issues goodbye.
>

> Brendan
> +---End of message---+
> To unsubscribe send any message to <ae-list-off@media-motion.tv>

Subscribe (FEED) Subscribe (DIGEST) Subscribe (INDEX) Unsubscribe Mail to ListMaster