From: Teddy Gage <teddygage@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [AE] Lossless movie format
Date: Fri, 16 May 2014 13:35:03 -0400
To: After Effects Mail List <AE-List@media-motion.tv>
just spitballing, most of these are probably already in use:

- .ofx - open visual effects
- .fex - Effects exchange
- .oav - open audio / video
- .ogr - open graphics exchange
- .cgr - creative graphics format
- .mox - movie open exchange
- .pox - professional open exchange
- .bmx - cool bike, man

On Fri, May 16, 2014 at 11:25 AM, Brendan Bolles <brendan@fnordware.com> wrote:
On May 13, 2014, at 9:12 AM, Steve Oakley wrote:

> UMF pronounced as in have you got any  umph ? :) .... also know as Universal Media Format
>
> UNC Universal New Codec

More thoughts on naming....there are already things called POM, including a file format used by a Java development system (pom.xml).  Wikipedia has a whole list:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pom

It would be nice to have a name that was unique, like OpenEXR is.  Other names that popped into my head early on include OpenMovie and OpenMOV, maybe using the .omv extension.  UMF isn't bad.  Obviously POM is what I'm still favoring.

It was also pointed out to me that what I'm proposing to do is similar to these MXF "Application Specifications":

http://www.amwa.tv/projects/application_specifications.shtml

The current ones do not meet our needs, but I should probably add "MXF for Visual Effects" or something.  I think re-branding the format is still a good idea though, as "AS-13 MXF" isn't too sexy.

Brendan

+---End of message---+
To unsubscribe send any message to <ae-list-off@media-motion.tv>