From: Jim Feeley <jfeeley@gmail.com>
Date: Sat, 17 May 2014 13:46:04 -0700
To: After Effects Mail List <AE-List@media-motion.tv>
1) Let me first say I love that this conversation has remained constructive, with insights/disagreements being stated clearly and without bile (and accepted the same way). I can think of many other lists & forums where that would not be the case. Yay AE-L!

2) Teddy, I think Adobe makes a fair amount of money from Omniture and other enterprise tools, Marketing Cloud, Acrobat and other document tools, Elements consumer stuff, PostScript licensing, and, um… other stuff (ask The Google).

3) I’d guess that if CC subscriptions fall as the $49.99 price becomes more universal, Adobe could make adjustments with lower prices and narrower bundles. Will be interesting to see how it all shakes out. But as long as it’s lower than our ISP and mobile bills, it’s just another monthly charge that most of us will deal with.

So says Mr. Obvious here...

jim feeley
pov media
word image sound

On May 17, 2014, at 11:57 AM, Teddy Gage <teddygage@gmail.com> wrote:

> Interesting. What is their other source of revenue?
>

> On Sat, May 17, 2014 at 2:31 PM, Rendernyc <rendernyc@gmail.com> wrote:
> Less than half of adobes revenue comes from the CC software.
>
> > On May 17, 2014, at 2:22 PM, Brian Klein <klein.brian@icloud.com> wrote:
> >
> > I think the $49.99 rate is what they have always said it was going to be, wasn't it? I feel like it's maybe a tad too expensive, and I wish they would break it out into app groups. I don't use any of the web apps, and it feels like I am paying for them, therefore I feel a bit cheated. But software is all Adobe makes (I think, at least...) So it's their only source of income. Apple makes more money by selling the computers/devices, so they can afford to price their software lower. I think that's why we are seeing such a difference in the pricing between the two companies.
> >
> > Also, to maybe make a bit more of a fair comparison between Adobe and Apple apps, you would add Logic Pro X and Aperature to your price. (And that still wouldn't include high-end color grading, web development, or Photoshop and Illustrator replacements.) However, the nice thing about that is you don't have to buy them if you don't need them. And you only need to buy them once. And it doesn't appear they are going to charge for updates.
> >
> > My 2¢.
> >
> > Brian Klein
> >
> >> On May 17, 2014, at 12:04 PM, Jim Curtis <jpcurtis@me.com> wrote:
> >>
> >> I knew the first year was an introductory rate, but I got notice today my monthly rate was going to increase to $49.99/mo. from $29.99.
> >>
> >> That's a pretty steep hike.  I was expecting more along the lines of $39.99, maybe without good reasons for it.
> >>
> >> So, this puts the annual rate at $600.  I was used to paying that every other year as an upgrade to the Production Premium bundle.
> >>
> >> I still don't think that's an outrageous price, and it's deductible to me, but I think this plays into some fears that some people had when Adobe announced their subscription model.  After all, you can still buy a permanent license of Motion, Compressor and FCP for $400, and upgrades are included.
> >>
> >> What do you think?

Subscribe (FEED) Subscribe (DIGEST) Subscribe (INDEX) Unsubscribe Mail to ListMaster