From: Teddy Gage <AE-List@media-motion.tv>
Subject: Re: [AE] Calling Teddy G . it's time for a new workstation
Date: Wed, 16 Sep 2015 12:36:13 -0400
To: After Effects Mail List <AE-List@media-motion.tv>
Ha, confusing way to explain it but I get what you are saying -

With DDR4 RAM you usually want to keep the RAM at quadruple channel speeds

- say there are 8 slots on your motherboard, you want to fill only 4 to keep quad channel (usually they are a different color) so for 32 gb you'd need 4x 8GB sticks. For 64 GB you'd need 4x 16 GB sticks. 16 GB sticks are MUCH more expensive and harder to find
- however in practice I have found more RAM offsets the need to keep your RAM as quad channel
- So I'd say if you do want 64 GB, just get 8x 8GB RAM - especially if you go with the upgraded processor

in terms of GPU

- great news about update for maxwell cards.
- I misread one of the specs on your original list - I thought you were going to use four separate monitors
- If you are only using one 1080 HD monitor the GTX 970 is a great card - no need for 980 or better
- In fact it sounds like a quad cpu (the original spec) should be fine for your needs, it does have some advantages over a hex (higher single core speed for example)
- 32 GB RAM should be fine for the quad core cpu - if going with hex core I'd upgrade to 64 if possible
- stick with the air cooling if you're not overclocking, the computer has some built in overclocking you don't even need to think about

So basically, your original build looks good!

And PS, that rig would play games pretty well too