From: Stephen van Vuuren <AE-List@media-motion.tv>
Subject: RE: [AE] Uservoice feedback website - Top post - Full Program. Mutli-Threaded Support
Date: Wed, 17 Oct 2018 21:11:15 +0000
To: After Effects Mail List <AE-List@media-motion.tv>

Greg,

Be interesting to see if you get a response. The awesome Todd was the last Adobe person ever to officially comment on this. It’s shocking really that it will soon be 5 years without this. GPU accelerated curves effect is not exactly the same thing as full-out multi-processing.

My own speculation is the last time they did a full code rewrite and announced it was the 32-bit to 64-bit. So there was long period of no new features. That was pre-CC. In the market, I would be pleasantly shocked to see them actually do that because announcing full multi-threading support in 2018/19/20 would be embarrassing not exciting as it was in when it first arrived.

My guess is the engineers would love to do it but Adobe business is “no way in hell” as AE needs new features each release cycle. Adobe’s business model is great for sales, terrible for new architecture. Other software companies are creating the same problem. You see less and less substantial changes and overhauls in development due to subscriptions, annual releases etc.

Stephen