From: Steve Oakley <IMUG-List@media-motion.tv>
Subject: Re: [IMUG] H.264 editing oddness
Date: Sat, 21 Feb 2015 21:09:58 -0600
To: IMUG Maillist <IMUG-List@media-motion.tv>
As so Phillip says

you could use media browser in PP to select clips, drop them in TL, mark I/O, export to whatever directly or que into AME. all good.

On Feb 21, 2015, at 7:34 PM, Philip Hodgetts <IMUG-List@media-motion.tv> wrote:

I think both PPro and FCP X would re-encode for output, but if you went to ProRes/Cineform there’d be no quality loss (storage space, perhaps).
It’s unfortunate that the Swiss Army Knife of media handling is built on ancient foundations and is officially deprecated but will likely be with us for at least another couple of OS Revisions.

I would so not count on that. I've had people being much more vocal to me (privately) that QT32 libs are going the dinosaur route sooner rather than later. that includes a lot of codecs NOT built into AVfoundation or MediaCore which adobe uses to do media file I/O including directly with QT files... for now.

Of relevance - Mjpeg A & B, Animation, - that touches all you M100 users who used Mjeg B for output when you didn't have a board in your system. A number of other old video and audio codecs are going away. You would be much wiser to start and actually do conversions of clips now rather than wait.

Here is the big hint your codec won't be supported : QT Player X opens it and converts it to ProRes... Save the file, take the conversion wait and save the file back out. Perhaps adding Converted or ProRes to the file name so you know...

other more recent codecs including all flavors of DV & photojpeg are ok, Mpeg2, H.264

as for codecs like M100... since AVfoundation doesn't, at least yet have a way for a 3rd party to install a codec component to it....I'd start making plans today rather than waiting. One way of finding them is just sorting by age. I find anything before about 2003 is worth checking. I also have a feature request in with the developer of NeoFinder aka CDfinder to add support to sort files by codec. His code does actually see codec type, its just not stored in the DB and its not a sort field for now. He's considering it... if you use NeoFinder, use the Help->Feedback menu item to send an email to him asking to include sort by codec in the next release ( or next + 1 ) as it will make your life much easier in tracking down mov's in old codecs.

you may also need to ask a deeper question. Is your cinepak ( or codec of choice)  640X480 SD clip still important ? if not, it'll fade away into digital dust way faster than nitrate film stock :(  welcome to the digital abyss... and why I'm not just a vocal but cash supporter of MOX as a media container + codec : documented, open source, source code available. Vastly more future safe than some current codecs & containers